Students – foreigners
Student – a foreigner, a citizen of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), may use health care services on the basis of a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in the country of origin. If a student/doctoral student does not have the right to insurance in his/her own country, he/she may apply for health insurance at the academy.
A student who is not a citizen of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), who studies in Poland and has been recognized as a person of Polish origin and is not subject to compulsory health insurance based on any other entitlement *, is subject to voluntary health insurance, and the health insurance premium is paid by the Academy.
A student who is not a citizen of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and who is not recognized as a person of Polish origin may insure himself / herself at the National Health Fund by signing a voluntary insurance agreement and pay the health insurance premium on his / her own. In order to sign the contract, you must contact the NFZ (National Health Fund).
Additional documents and information needed to complete the application:
Students: foreigners – citizens of a Member State of the European Union or a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA):
- passport or another identity document
- PESEL number (if assigned)
Students: foreigners who are not citizens of a European Union Member State or a European Member State recognized as a person of Polish origin:
- Pole’s Card or another document confirming Polish origin
- agreement on voluntary health insurance with the National Health Fund in Krakow (Wadowicka 8W street)
- PESEL number (if assigned)
Application for insurance at the Academy
The Academy registers a student for health insurance only on request of the student and after he or she signs a declaration of not being subject to compulsory health insurance based on any other entitlement* (application form and declaration form). A person under the age of 26 who wants to insure at the Academy is obliged to send an additional declaration explaining why he or she cannot apply for health insurance as a family member.
Students with a considerable level of disability may apply for health insurance as a family member with a parent, regardless of age.
A student who is entitled to a disability pension is insured by Polish Social Insurance Institution.
Any change (such as taking up a job, obtaining a pension, etc. *) shall be immediately notified to the relevant faculty office!
Insurance protection period
It shall be remembered that the student’s right to health care services expires 30 days after graduation. This is a non-contributory protection period, which should be confirmed each time when using health care services with a document confirming the completion of studies.
In accordance with the above, graduates of first-cycle studies are deregistered, and those who start studying at second-cycle studies and want to continue to be insured by the Academy should apply for insurance again after matriculation, i.e. after 1st October.
The above regulations also apply to students who are not citizens of the Republic of Poland. Additionaly, students who are not citizens of the Republic of Poland should visit the appropriate branch of the National Health Fund in order to renew the contract on voluntary health insurance.
- being a family member of the insured who pays the premium or for whom the premium is paid (e.g. parent or spouse),
- employment relationship, labour based relationship, business activity, mandate agreement
- retirement and other pension benefits from social insurance,
- sports scholarship,
- social pension, permanent, compensatory or guaranteed benefit, temporary benefit from social care,
- maintenance obligations,
- registration at the Regional Employment Office as an unemployed person,
- being a farmer or a working member of a farmer’s household, as defined in the provisions on farmers’ social insurance,
- being insured as a student/doctoral student of another field of study at AMKP or another higher education institution.