On the basis of articles of the Act of 20 July 2018 The Law on Higher Education and Science, Art. 197, the preparation of a doctoral dissertation shall be conducted by means of:
1) doctoral education;
2) or extramural mode.
On the basis of articles of the Act of 20 July 2018 The Law on Higher Education and Science (i.e. Journal of Laws 2021, item 478, as amended):
Art. 186. 1. A degree of doktor shall be awarded to an individual who:
1) holds a magister or a magister inżynier degree or an equivalent degree, or has the diploma referred to in Art. 326 sec. 2 point 2 or Art. 327 sec. 2, entitling them to apply for the award of a degree of doktor in the country in the education system of which the higher education institution which issued it operates;
2) achieved the learning outcomes for qualifications at level 8 of the Polish Qualifications Framework, where the learning outcomes in terms of the knowledge of a modern foreign language are confirmed by a certificate or diploma confirming the knowledge of that language at B2 level or higher;
3) has at least:
- a) 1 scientific article published in a scientific journal or in conference proceedings which, in the year of publication of the article in its final form, were included in a list drawn up in accordance with the provisions issued pursuant to Art. 267 sec. 2 point 2 (b), or
- b) 1 scientific monograph issued by a publishing house which, in the year of publication of the monograph in its final form, was included on a list drawn up in accordance with the provisions issued pursuant to Art. 267 sec. 2 point 2 (a), or a chapter in such a monograph, or
- c) a work of art of considerable importance;
4) presented and defended a doctoral dissertation;
5) met other requirements set by the entity awarding a degree of doktor.
Art. 187. 1. The doctoral dissertation demonstrates the candidate’s general theoretical knowledge in a discipline (or disciplines) and the ability to conduct research or artistic work independently.
- The subject matter of the doctoral dissertation shall be an original solution to a scientific problem or in terms of the application of results of own scientific research in the economic or social sphere, or an original artistic achievement.
- The doctoral dissertation may be a written dissertation, including a scientific monograph; a collection of published and thematically related scientific articles; design, construction, technological, implementation or artistic work; as well as an independent and separate part of a collective work.
- The doctoral dissertation shall include an abstract in English, whereas a doctoral dissertation prepared in a foreign language – an abstract in Polish. In the case when the dissertation is not in written form, its description in Polish and English shall be attached.
Art. 189. The proceedings for the award of a degree of doktor shall be initiated at the request of a person who satisfies the requirements set out in Art. 186 sec. 1 points 1-3 or sec. 2. The application shall be accompanied by a doctoral dissertation with a positive opinion of the supervisor or supervisors.
Art. 190. 1. The scientific supervision of the preparation of a doctoral dissertation shall be exercised by the supervisor or supervisors or by the supervisor and assistant supervisor.