Rules of 1st International
KRAKOW JAZZ PIANO COMPETITION 2022
The aim of the competition is not only to promote young, exceptionally gifted pianists but also to promote the beauty of improvisation, which since the dawn of the history of music has been the basic method of spontaneous music making, an expressive creative act and an authentic way of expressing oneself through music. We believe that it will permanently enter the calendar of important cultural events in Krakow, enriching and developing the long-standing tradition of jazz pianism in Poland and its strong position in an international arena.
1. The organizer of the 1st International Krakow Jazz Piano Competition, hereinafter referred to as Competition, is the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow – Jazz Department and Art Evolution Foundation.
2. Competition will be held from 8 to 9 December 2022.
3. The Competition Auditions will be held at the AMKP Concert Hall of the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow at św. Tomasza 43.
4. The Competition is open to pianists who, by the final date of 8 December 2022, are under 30 years of age (born after 8 December 1992) and are 16 years old or older.
5. The winners of the first three places will not be able to take part in the next editions of the competition.
1. To participate in the Competition the application documents should be submitted by 25 October 2022. The application form is available on: www.amuz.krakow.pl.
2. The form should be accompanied by:
– the candidate’s photo (good quality, minimum 1 MB),
– a short biographical note (in Polish and English or only in English for foreign participants) with particular emphasis on previous achievements and music education,
– an audio video recording of 3 pieces of music, including:
• a piece for piano solo,
• an own composition with the accompaniment of the rhythm section,
• any piece with the accompaniment of the rhythm section,
– the video(s) should be posted on YouTube in minimum HD resolution as an unlisted video(s), accessible only to members of the Jury by link. The total recording time should not exceed 30 minutes. The link to the recording(s) should be sent in the application form,
– for each piece, a significant part should be the candidate’s improvisation,
– each of the submitted pieces should be recorded from one camera angle and position, without editing, with the candidate always visible; each piece can be saved separately.
3. The participation fee is non-refundable and equals:
1/ for participants with Polish citizenship – PLN 200
Payment should be made to the following account:
BANK PEKAO S.A. III Oddział Kraków
41 1240 2294 1111 0000 3708 8240
with the annotation “Jazz Piano Competition”
2/ for foreign participants – EUR 50
Payment must be made to the following account:
Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow
Bank PEKAO S.A., III Oddział Krakow
IBAN: PL 42 1240 2294 1978 0010 2649 8028
BIC / SWIFT: PKOPPLPW
with the annotation “Jazz Piano Competition”.
The fees relating to the transfer are charged to the participant. For the transfers from a foreign bank account please choose option “OUR”.
4. All necessary documents, together with the proof of payment (a scan of the transfer receipt), should be sent to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Candidates will receive the confirmation of acceptance of their application by 30 October 2022, by e-mail to the e-mail address provided.
1. Basing on the submitted recordings, the Competition Jury will select a maximum of 8 finalists, who will be invited to the final auditions, which will be held at the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow from 8 to 9 December 2022.
2. Candidates will be informed about qualifying for the final auditions in Krakow by 5 November 2022.
3. The order of performances will be determined by random selection and will be announced before the start of each stage.
1. Stage one (8 December 2022), in which each candidate performs:
• one piano solo piece selected from the List of final pieces*
• an own composition with the accompaniment of the rhythm section
• a jazz standard randomly selected from the List of jazz standards* with the accompaniment of a rhythm section
During the first stage, the Competition Jury will select a maximum of 5 candidates who will be admitted to the second stage of the final auditions.
2. Stage two (9 December 2022), in which each candidate performs:
• a solo piano improvisation on a given topic. The candidate will receive a theme for improvisation half an hour before his recital.
• one piece freely chosen from the List of final pieces or the List of jazz standards with the accompaniment of the rhythm section.
Participants will receive sheet music for the pieces from the list of jazz standards and list of final pieces at the moment of confirmation of their submission to the competition (until 30 October 2022).
Participants cannot perform the same piece twice.
Each participant of the final auditions will have time for a rehearsal with the rhythm section.
The winners of the Competition are obliged to participate in the final concert, which will take place on 9 December 2022 in the Concert Hall of the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow.
The final auditions will be open to the public.
4. The participants of the Competition consent to be audio and video recorded, and the winners agree to participate in the public Concert of Laureates without remuneration.
1. The Competition Jury consists of:
- dr hab. Piotr Wyleżoł, prof. AMKP – chairman of the Jury (the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow)
- prof. Danny Grissett (JAM Music Lab University, Private University for Jazz and Popular Music Vienna)
- dr hab. Joachim Mencel, prof. AMKP (the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music
- dr hab. Dominik Wania (the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow)
- dr hab. Mariusz Sielski, prof. AMKP (the Krzysztof Penderecki Academy of Music in Krakow)
- Michał Tokaj (Chopin University of Music in Warsaw)
2. The Competition Jury works according to the separate rules drawn up and approved by the members of the Jury. One of its points is the proviso that a professor who is a member of the Jury does not score a participant who is his student.
3. The decisions of the Competition Jury are final, irrevocable and non-appealable.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- 1st prize – PLN 15,000
and an invitation to perform a concert during the next edition of the Competition
- 2nd prize – PLN 10,000
- 3rd prize – PLN 5,000
All participants of the final auditions will receive participation diplomas, and the laureates will receive special diplomas.
Accommodation and travel costs of participants qualified for the final auditions
1. The participants of the Competition shall make and cover the reservations of accommodation and meals on their own.
2. The organizer does not reimburse travel costs.
1. Competition participants transfer to the Organizers author’s economic rights to artistic performances registered during all stages of the Competition and the Concert of Laureates without payment in the scope of:
– multiplication on any sound and image carriers,
– placing on the market – introducing to a computer and the Internet, broadcasting, rebroadcasting and playing, as well as making the recording of the artistic performance available to the public in such a way that everyone can have access to it at a place and time chosen by them,
– playing in public,
– wireless, wired and satellite broadcasting, and rebroadcasting and retransmission.
2. Competition participants consent to reproduce physical likeness of their image, recorded in connection with the Competition and provided to the Competition organizer, without payment. Participants consent to the processing of their personal data for the purposes of organizing the Competition and in accordance with the statutory objectives of the Competition organizer.
3. By entering the competition, the participant accepts these rules.
4. Competition participants hereby confirm that they have read the information clause on the protection of personal data, the full content of which can be found in the Application Form.
5. The Organizer of the Competition, due to the current epidemiological situation, reserves the right to conduct the Competition on-line.
6. The Organizer of the Competition reserves the right to cancel the Competition without giving any reason.
For additional information, please contact:
Piotr Wyleżoł – chairman of the Jury
Marcin Banaszek – secretary of the competition
*List of final pieces:
1. „No Stamp Required”
1. „Sweet Thing”
2. „White Ballad”
1. “Quo Vadis”
2. „Song for Christopher”
1. „Back to the Roots”
2. „Mr Soul” / “Kairo”
*List of jazz standards
1. „Windows”- Chick Corea
2. „Humpty Dumpty” – Corea
3. „Stablemates” – Benny Golson
4. „Along Come Betty” – Benny Golson
5. „Anthropology” – Charlie Parker
6. „Airegin” – Sonny Rollins
7. „Evidence” – Monk
8. „It Could Happen to You” – Jimmy Van-Heusen